Beginning August 16, 2013, the Duke Barbershop will close for 3 months while space is renovated in the new location in the Bryan University Center.
A Bit of History
The Barbershop carried on a campus tradition dating from 1912 when the college first employed two experienced barbers. In 1941, the West Campus shop kept six barbers and two shoeshine boys busy. It too changed with the times employing the first African American barber in 1969 and the first woman in 1972. The slogan "where friends meet for better service" remains true today as this part of "Main Street" continues in the same location.
- an excerpt from If Gargoyles Could Talk by University Archivist, William E. King, Ph.D.
About Us Now
The Duke Barber Shop currently employs three barbers and two hair stylists who offer quality service at affordable prices. Clients can choose from a variety of options that include cut, style, shampoo, blow dry, and perms. We also carry a variety of hair care products. For your convenience, we are located on West Campus in the basement of the West Union Building. We accept both appointments and walk-ins and everyone is welcome so please stop by.
Flex, checks, and cash are accepted.